Friday 16 April 2010

A Record Day

One of my favorite retail-related holidays is fast upon us: Saturday, April 17, is Record Store Day. It’s a celebration of all-things vinyl, created a few years back by independent music store owners.

I feel sad for today’s music-loving kids and teens, the majority of whom buy their music online. Sure, it’s quick and convenient. But it doesn’t come close to the fun of browsing through bins of records in small, dusty stores -- I’m talking pre-Tower and pre-Virgin here -- adorned with posters of cool bands and packed with racks of magazines devoted to the same. Such places, while quite rare, still exist, particularly here in New York City. One of the best is Rebel Rock, 319 Bleecker St.

Just to let everyone know, my all-time favorite record store was a no-frills spot on the corner of Broad Street in downtown Elizabeth, N.J., called Vogel’s. It was a small store, probably no more than 1,500 sq. ft., with a shopworn look to it. But when I was growing up, I thought it was the hippest store around. My friends and I would take turns begging our parents to drive us there on the weekends. Vogel’s was known for having the very latest releases (particularly from the British bands that we so adored). No one else came close.

On some Saturdays, Vogel’s was so crowded that we actually had to wait in line outside get in. We didn’t mind. It only added to the excitement -- and to the store’s lure. My godson laughs when I tell him these stories. He downloads the latest release within seconds. So do I for that matter.

I’ve been to some great stores over the years, in some pretty exotic places too. But none of them can conjure up the same feelings and magic as Vogel’s.

What store does it for you?

No comments: